|◄ Preceded by|| Marcel Galliard|
|Followed by ►|
Marcel Galliard (マルセル・ガリアード Maruseru Gariādo?) was the older brother of Porco Galliard, comrade and childhood friend of Reiner Braun, Bertolt Hoover, Annie Leonhart and Pieck. He was part of the group sent by Marley to attack the Eldians of Paradis Island in year 845, but his mission was cut short by the sudden appearance of Ymir in her Pure Titan form. He possessed the ability to transform into a Titan known as the Jaw Titan.
Marcel had short dark hair swept back and an upturned nose. On the mission to breach Wall Maria, he dressed in a long jacket with a backpack likely filled with supplies for the long journey away from their hometown.
His Titan form was shown to be similar to his brother's, as both were shown to have long hair, sunken eyes, a small, agile body, and a cog-like jaw, hence his Titan's name. However, unlike Porco, his Titan was shown to have long black hair.
Marcel was described by his brother as a strong and reliable person. He also demonstrated his friendly personality through his interactions with his fellow Warriors, particularly Reiner, always giving them encouragement. He also appeared to be selfless, sacrificing his life to save his friend Reiner from being eaten by a Titan. He greatly cared for his fellow Warriors and his brother, so much that he attempted to protect Porco from inheriting the Armored Titan. Unlike the other Warriors who saw inheriting one of the Nine Titans as a symbol of pride, Marcel saw it as a tragic fate, and unsuccessfully tried to stop his brother from succumbing to the same fate.
Marcel Galliard was an Eldian born in Marley. At some point in his youth, his parents sent him and his brother Porco into training to become Warriors for Marley. Marcel excelled during his training, notably in tests of strength and endurance, and eventually he stood among the seven remaining Warrior candidates, all potential candidates for inheriting the power of the Titans. At this time, tension began to grow between his brother Porco and fellow candidate Reiner Braun, who had become a subject of ridicule from Porco for his lackluster performance as a Warrior. Despite his love for his brother, Marcel made attempts to ease the conflict between the two.
When the time came for the Warrior candidates to receive their Titans, Marcel began to worry for his brother's life. In order to keep Porco alive, Marcel managed to elevate Reiner's reputation in the eyes of their Marleyan superiors while diminishing Porco's reputation. Through his intervention, Porco was not chosen to inherit a Titan, and instead Reiner Braun was given the power of the Armored Titan in the year 843. At this time, Marcel was chosen to inherit the power of the Jaw Titan.
The six Warriors granted Titan powers were soon sent to war as a test of their abilities. Much to Marley's delight, the power of the Titans proved to be a devastating weapon even in the hands of young children. With their concerns alleviated, Marley officially began the Paradis Island Operation, a mission to send the Warriors to Paradis Island in order to take the Founding Titan from the King of the Walls. Marcel was chosen for this operation, along with Reiner, Bertolt Hoover, and Annie Leonhart.
In the year 845, the four Warriors were sent across the sea to the borderline of Paradis Island. There, they were given their final mission orders from Commander Magath, who wished for their success and safe return.
After traveling through the night, the Warriors camp until sunrise. At this time, Marcel reveals to Reiner that he was not meant to inherit the power of the Titans, and he apologizes for putting his brother's life over Reiner's. Unfortunately, before the matter can be discussed further, a Titan rises up out of the ground and attacks Reiner. In a moment of sacrifice, Marcel pushes Reiner out of harm's way and is caught instead. The other Warriors flee as Marcel is eaten alive.
During Reiner's days as a trainee, Reiner would oftentimes emulate Marcel's kind and friendly personality as part of his 'soldier' persona, as Porco notes through Ymir's obtained memories, appearing as a big brother figure to his fellow trainees.
When a group of Titans are attacking a tower in Utgard Castle, Reiner leads the other rookies in defending the interior of the tower. He attempts to barricade the door against an invading Titan, and recalls being attacked and nearly killed by Ymir's Pure Titan form many years earlier. In particular, he recalled being pushed out of the way by Marcel, who was devoured by the Titan in his place. He is snapped out of the memory by Bertolt calling for him. The two manage to fend off the Titan and promise to return to their hometown together.
The following morning, with no weapons and their superiors all dead, the rookies prepare for the end. However, Ymir reveals her secret and transforms into a Titan, fighting to save the others. Reiner and Bertolt were shocked when they realized that Ymir was the Pure Titan that ate Marcel.
Later, in a forest, Bertolt expresses concern over whether they can trust Ymir and reminds Reiner of Marcel's death at her hands. He later questions Ymir about it, and she states that she does not remember doing it. Bertolt accepts her apology, and states that she probably did not want to eat anyone.
After they escape to the Shiganshina District, Ymir expresses her gratitude towards Reiner and Bertolt for their role in freeing her from her Titan form. She agrees to return to their hometown with them, even though doing so would certainly mean her death. As an explanation, she mentions her desire to repay them for what she took; possibly referring to Marcel's death at her hands.
Some point before the Battle of Shiganshina, Ymir is taken back to Marley by Reiner and Bertolt, and later devoured by Porco as a Pure Titan, transferring her memories and power to him. Porco devoured Ymir as he wanted to bring his brother's Jaw Titan powers back to Marley, not knowing that Marcel did not want him to inherit it to begin with. Porco uses this power during the Mid-East Allied War and the battle at Fort Slava. Much to his displeasure, Porco is only able to access Ymir's memories and has yet to inherit any of Marcel's. Through Ymir's eyes, he sees Reiner's life as a trainee. Much to Porco's irritation and anger, he also saw Reiner discarding his old self and begin incorporating Marcel's personality and traits as his own. This only increased his contempt and dislike of his fellow Warrior.
In the year 854, the Marley government begins to search for Reiner's successor, due to him only having two years left to live as part of his tenure as the Armored Titan. Seeing the newly selected group of Warrior candidates, Reiner is reminded of Marcel and his fellow former candidates. One of the prime candidates to succeed Reiner is Gabi Braun, his own cousin. Due to Marcel's sacrifice, and Reiner's realization that holding the power of the Titans is an awful fate, Reiner attempts to help her by secretly encouraging Falco Grice to inherit his power instead.
- Porco Galliard - Perhaps Marcel's closest relationship was with his brother. Porco, who often treats people condescendingly, fondly remembers Marcel as a dependable person and holds a grudge against Reiner for his brother's sacrifice. Porco also greatly admired Marcel for inheriting one of the Nine Titans and hoped to inherit one as well. Unbeknownst to Porco, Marcel attempted to save his life via having Reiner inherit the Armored Titan instead. Marcel's attempt would ultimately be unsuccessful, however, for Porco would inherit the same Titan powers his brother had from Ymir in the year 850.
- Reiner Braun - Marcel was shown to care for Reiner, attempting to stop a fight between him and Porco which the latter instigated and apologized to Reiner for Porco's behavior. In the year 845, Marcel apologized to Reiner for inheriting the Armored Titan, for Marcel recommended Reiner to inherit it in order to save Porco. As a Titan appeared, Marcel pushed Reiner out of the way and ended up getting devoured himself. Reiner would be haunted by Marcel's sacrifice, often wishing that he was the one who was killed that day instead. Due to Marcel's actions towards trying to prevent his brother from gaining the power of the Titans, Reiner himself is trying to save his own cousin, Gabi, from inheriting his Titan power and following his tragic fate.
- In the original version of Chapter 47, he was referred to by the name "Berwick" (ベリック Berikku?). However, in Volume 12, his name was changed to "Marcel."
- His name, Marcel, is French in origin, meaning "Little Warrior." Considering the group he belonged to refer to themselves as "Warriors," it is no coincidence. His surname resembles the French word "gaillard," meaning "brave, cheerful, spirited."
- His original name, Berwick, is English in origin, meaning "Grain Farm." This contrasts with his companions' names and incidentally represent the three basic levels of society—Rulers/Land Owners (Bertolt), Soldiers/Warriors (Reiner), and Farmers (Berwick).