|◄ Preceded by||Marcel Galliard
|Followed by ►|
|Reiner, I'm sorry. You were never meant to be chosen as a Warrior. I talked you up and criticized my brother to influence their decision. I... just wanted to protect my brother. I'm sorry, Reiner... I'm sorry!|
|— Marcel's dedication to his brother Porco.|
Marcel Galliard (マルセル・ガリアード Maruseru Gariādo?) was the older brother of Porco Galliard and a childhood friend of Reiner Braun, Bertholdt Hoover and Annie Leonhart. He was part of the group of Warriors sent by Marley to attack the Walls of Paradis Island in year 845, but his mission was cut short by the sudden appearance of Ymir as a Pure Titan. He possessed the ability to transform into the Jaw Titan.
Marcel had short brown hair swept back, large hazel eyes and an upturned nose On the mission to breach Wall Maria, he dressed in a long jacket with a backpack likely filled with supplies for the long journey away from their hometown.
His Titan form was shown to be similar to his brother's, as both were shown to have long hair, a thick beard at its chin, sunken eyes, and a small, agile body. However, unlike Porco, his Titan was shown to have long dark hair and beard, and visible sharp teeth with no visible lips.
Marcel was described by his brother as a strong and reliable person. He also demonstrated his friendly personality through his interactions with his fellow Warriors, particularly Reiner, always giving them encouragement. He greatly cared for his fellow Warriors and his brother, so much that he attempted to protect Porco from inheriting the Armored Titan. He also appeared to be selfless, saving Reiner from being eaten by a Titan by sacrificing his own life and dying in his place. This demonstrated Marcel's extreme bravery and his devotion to his friends. Despite his bravery, he did appear to show great fear in his last moments of life. Unlike the other Warriors who saw inheriting one of the Nine Titans as a symbol of pride, Marcel saw it as a tragic fate, and unsuccessfully tried to stop his brother from succumbing to the same fate. In addition, Marcel was also quick-witted according to a Marleyan officer.
Marcel Galliard was an Eldian born in Marley. He and his brother Porco both became Warrior Candidates and both became frontrunners to inherit one of the Nine Titans. At this time, tension began to grow between Porco and fellow candidate Reiner Braun, who had become a subject of ridicule from Porco for his lackluster performance as a Warrior. Despite his love for his brother, Marcel made attempts to ease the conflict between the two.
When the time came for the Warrior candidates to receive their Titans, Marcel began to worry for his brother's life. In order to keep Porco alive, Marcel managed to elevate Reiner's reputation in the eyes of their Marleyan superiors while diminishing Porco's reputation. Through his intervention, Porco was not chosen to inherit a Titan, and instead Reiner was given the power of the Armored Titan in the year 843. At this time, Marcel was chosen to inherit the power of the Jaw Titan.
The six Warriors granted Titan powers were soon sent to war as a test of their abilities. Much to Marley's delight, the power of the Titans proved to be a devastating weapon even in the hands of young children. With their concerns alleviated, Marley officially began the Paradis Island Operation, a mission to send the Warriors to Paradis Island in order to take the Founding Titan from the King of the Walls. Marcel was chosen for this operation, along with Reiner, Bertholdt Hoover, and Annie Leonhart.
After traveling through the night, the Warriors camp until sunrise. At this time, Marcel reveals to Reiner that he was not meant to inherit the power of the Titans, and he apologizes for putting his brother's life over Reiner's. Unfortunately, before the matter can be discussed further, a Titan rises up out of the ground and attacks Reiner. In a moment of sacrifice, Marcel pushes Reiner out of harm's way and is caught instead. The other Warriors flee as Marcel is eaten alive.
When a group of Titans are attacking a tower in Utgard Castle, Reiner remembers the time he was about to be eaten by a Titan, in which Marcel pushed him out of the way, leaving Reiner and Bertholdt to witness the death of their friend as the Titan devoured Marcel in front of them.
The following morning, with no weapons and their superiors all dead, the rookies prepare for the end. However, Ymir reveals her secret and transforms into a Titan, in order to fight off the horde of Titans from killing the others. Reiner and Bertholdt were shocked when they realized that Ymir is the same Titan that attacked them years earlier and is responsible for the death of Marcel.
Later, in the Forest of Giant Trees, Bertholdt expresses concern over whether they can trust Ymir and reminds Reiner of Marcel's death at her hands. He later questions Ymir about it, and she states that she does not remember doing it. Bertholdt accepts her apology and states that she probably did not mean to eat anyone in the first place.
Some point before the Battle of Shiganshina, Ymir is taken back to Marley by Reiner and Bertholdt, and later devoured by Porco as a Pure Titan, transferring her memories and power to him. Porco devoured Ymir as he wanted to bring his brother's Jaw Titan powers back to Marley, not knowing that Marcel did not want him to inherit it to begin with. Porco uses this power during the Mid-East Allied War and the battle at Fort Slava. Much to his displeasure, Porco is only able to access Ymir's memories and has yet to inherit any of Marcel's. Through Ymir's eyes, he sees Reiner's life as a cadet. Much to Porco's irritation and anger, he also saw Reiner discarding his old self and begin incorporating Marcel's personality and traits as his own. This only increased his contempt and dislike of his fellow Warrior.
In the year 854, the Marley government begins to search for Reiner's successor, due to him only having two years left to live as part of his tenure as the Armored Titan. Seeing the newly selected group of Warrior candidates, Reiner is reminded of Marcel and his fellow former candidates. One of the prime candidates to succeed Reiner is Gabi Braun, his own cousin. Due to Marcel's sacrifice, and Reiner's realization that holding the power of the Titans is an awful fate, Reiner attempts to help her by secretly encouraging Falco Grice to inherit his power instead.
While trying to awake an unconscious Porco to make him join the battle again, Reiner accidently triggers the memory of Marcel revealing his plan to keep his brother from inheriting a Titan in order to have a chance at a long life.
As an Eldian Warrior, Marcel had undergone advanced military training in order to prepare him to use the Titan power. He was in good shape and was particularly quick-witted, and his overall abilities were strong enough to make him a Warrior.
Marcel had the ability to transform into a 5 meter Titan known as the Jaw Titan (顎の巨人 Agito no Kyojin?).
- Jaw: As the Jaw Titan's most prominent feature, Marcel's Titan form possessed a great biting force, which was strong enough to crush cannons.
- Speed: Due to its small size, Marcel's Jaw Titan had a high level of speed and agility.
- Regeneration: Just like all others with the power of the Titans, Marcel had the ability to regenerate any injuries he may suffer.
- Porco Galliard - Perhaps Marcel's closest relationship was with his brother. Porco, who often treats people condescendingly, fondly remembers Marcel as a dependable person and holds a grudge against Reiner for his brother's sacrifice. Porco also greatly admired Marcel for inheriting one of the Nine Titans and hoped to inherit one as well. Unbeknownst to Porco, Marcel attempted to save his life via having Reiner inherit the Armored Titan instead. Marcel's attempt would ultimately be unsuccessful, however, for Porco would inherit the same Titan powers his brother had from Ymir in the year 850.
- Reiner Braun - Marcel was shown to care for Reiner, attempting to stop a fight between him and Porco which the latter instigated and apologized to Reiner for Porco's behavior. In the year 845, Marcel apologized to Reiner for inheriting the Armored Titan, for Marcel recommended Reiner to inherit it in order to save Porco. As a Titan appeared, Marcel pushed Reiner out of the way and ended up getting devoured himself. Reiner would be haunted by Marcel's sacrifice, often wishing that he was the one who was killed that day instead. Due to Marcel's actions towards trying to prevent his brother from gaining the power of the Titans, Reiner himself is trying to save his own cousin, Gabi, from inheriting his Titan power and following his tragic fate.
- His name, Marcel, is French in origin, meaning "Little Warrior." Considering the group he belonged to refer to themselves as "Warriors," it is no coincidence. His surname resembles the French word "gaillard," meaning "brave, cheerful, spirited."