|To hell with capturing it!! Take what's coming to you!!|
|— Oluo vows to kill the Female Titan|
Oluo Bozado (オルオ・ボザド Oruo Bozado?) was a soldier of the Survey Corps hand-picked by Levi Ackerman to be included in the Special Operations Squad. He was a skilled soldier with a very high Titan kill record.
Oluo had a much older appearance than his peers, having more pronounced wrinkles despite being implied to be around the same age as his teammates. He had slightly curly, brown hair styled in an undercut and small eyes. He wore the standard Survey Corps uniform, as well as a cravat, and his eyebrows were often pulled down in a condescending manner, similar to Levi. Oluo purposely styled his hair and cravat to resemble his Captain, Levi.
Oluo was a very self-confident, outspoken individual, and enjoyed boasting about his own prowess. Despite his obnoxious demeanor, he was the best out of Levi's Special Operations Squad; his 39 solo kills (highest solo kills out of his peers, bested only by Levi) fueled his haughty nature. Though Oluo tried to come across as self-important, his cockiness was rarely taken seriously, and he was also shown to be somewhat clumsy, frequently biting his own tongue on accident.
Oluo also casually attempted to imitate Levi, such as his rough speech and confident attitude, which caused him to be at slight odds with Petra.
Despite this, he was very focused and disciplined in battle. He quickly accepted that Levi had a good reason for not revealing the truth about the 57th Expedition, even as the Female Titan was chasing them, and berated Eren for his undisciplined behavior. Even when Gunther was killed, he did not lose sight of his objective and remained completely focused on ensuring Eren's safety, not allowing his friend's death to affect him during the mission.
Levi hand-picks Oluo to form a Special Operations Squad alongside Petra, Eld, and Gunther. Their primary task is to safeguard Eren during missions and, if necessary, kill him if he loses control of his Titan powers. Oluo gives Eren a hard time, making it clear that he will not trust the newcomer easily. Due to the fact that the HQ that the squad will be using has not been maintained well, Levi orders everyone to begin cleaning. When Hange arrives later that day and Eren asks her to explain her experiments with Titans, Oluo and the rest quickly leave the room, already knowing about Hange's long-winded speeches.
During Eren's month-long stay with the Special Operations Squad, Oluo is extremely pessimistic about Eren being able to control his powers. When Eren accidentally transforms after a training session, Oluo immediately assumed he was up to no good, and threatened to kill him on the spot if he barely moves a muscle. After calming down, Oluo, along with the rest of the squad, bites down on their own hands like Eren does as a way of apologizing to Eren for their rash and aggressive responses, and hopes he will begin to put his faith in them.
During the Survey Corps' 57th Expedition, Oluo's duty is to protect Eren. As time progresses, the news of a mysterious Titan killing the soldiers reaches the Levi Squad just as Oluo and the others witness the black smoke signal, knowing that an abnormal Titan is near their position. Eventually, they enter the forest. Eren questions this, but then notices Oluo the and others also do not know what is going on. At that moment, the mysterious Female Titan reaches their location. As they are being chased, Oluo and the other squad soldiers beg Levi for orders, proposing to take the Titan down as it slaughters the reinforcements from behind. Levi, however, just shoots a sound grenade to calm them down, reminding them of their job. Eren finds himself to be unable to comply with the orders as he watches more soldiers to be killed. His intentions are made clear when he is about to bite his hand. Levi tells him to choose whether he believes in himself or the squad. Eren decides to go with the squad, and as the Titan is about to catch up with them, they reach the location of Erwin and other soldiers who manage to trap the Female Titan. They then brag to Eren, claiming that it is thanks to the power of the Survey Corps that they managed to capture their foe.
Afterward, Eld and others discuss Erwin's decision not to tell the soldiers about the plan. Eren wonders why is it that not even the elite soldiers were told about it, angering Oluo and Petra, but Eld agrees with Eren, stating that Erwin must have had a reason. They realize that if they answered Erwin's mysterious question back then, they would probably be trusted enough to be let in the operation.
Seeing a flare that indicates the Corps is retreating, the squad begins making their way out of the forest. On their way to rejoin with Levi, Eld teases Petra and Oluo for peeing their pants on the first expedition. They notice another signal flare and thinking it is shot by Levi, they fire their own one. However, the mysterious soldier kills Gunther and then transforms into the Female Titan to resume her pursuit of Eren.
Eren is ordered to flee while the surviving squad members engage the Titan in battle. The squad seems to have the upper hand, with Eld launching an attack and a smoke screen blinding the Titan that allows Petra and Oluo to take out her eyes. Eld then launches several attacks on her arms before Oluo and Petra joined in, severing them and rendering them useless. As Eld and Petra move in for the kill, the Titan suddenly regenerates a single eye and bites Eld in half, before engaging Petra. Oluo orders her to get out of range of the Female Titan, but Petra is too shocked to react and is also killed, leaving Oluo to fight alone. Enraged by the deaths of his friends, Oluo tries to kill the Titan with a powerful slash to her nape, but she hardens her nape, rendering the attack null. He is then overwhelmed and killed by one of her roundhouse kicks.
Later in the Battle of Shiganshina District, as Erwin Smith begins to lament the dwindling hopes of his dream, Oluo stands among the many fallen Survey Corps comrades in Erwin's mind, wanting to know if their deaths had meaning.
In the forest, as Levi contemplates all the times he risked his life to save Eren, Oluo appears among the comrades he had lost along the way.
He was a very skillful soldier who had an impressive Titan kill record of 48 kills: 39 solo kills and 9 team kills. Oluo used vertical maneuvering equipment quite well, being very competent at slaying Titans alone. He was fine-tuned to work in coordination with the rest of the Special Operations Squad, and together, they could launch coordinated strikes without so much as speaking.
Oluo Bozado's statistics :
- Eren Yeager - Oluo dismissed Eren as a newbie, and did not trust his ability to control his Titan powers. When Eren partially transformed on accident, Oluo was convinced he was up to no good and threatened to kill him on the spot. Later, realizing his rash reaction, Oluo hoped that Eren would forgive him, though he said so in his usual rude manner.
- Levi Ackerman - Oluo was fiercely loyal to Levi after having had his life saved by him. He subsequently attempted to mold himself into the image of the man he respects most. Oluo attempted to copy Levi's speech patterns, cool attitude, and even smaller details like his hair and fashion and his ability to face Titans all alone. After Levi saved his life, Oluo thanked him and declared that he would follow him anywhere.
- Petra Ral - Petra was frequently annoyed by Oluo's rudeness and his obnoxious habit of mimicking Levi. Oluo dismissed her remarks, and thought of her as an aspiring, naggy wife. Despite their bickering, the two had a long history of working and fighting alongside each other, leading to a powerful friendship and bond, and Oluo was devastated by her death.
- Eld Jinn - Oluo trusted Eld both as a teammate and as a friend. However, Eld did not hold back on pushing Oluo's buttons, and revealed to Eren some of Oluo's less respectable moments.
- Gunther Schultz - Gunther and Oluo worked well as a team, though Gunther occasionally scolded him and the others for their unfocused attitudes.
- Levi was aware that Oluo Bozado was imitating him and thought it to be annoying.
- Oluo, having been unaware of the Female Titan's hardening ability, never knew why his blades did not cut her nape.
- The Attack on Titan Guidebook includes an imaginary interview with Oluo and Petra that supposedly takes place after they were killed by the Female Titan:
- Q: You two came to a very shocking end.
- Oluo: I let that Titan win. You don't seem to understand: beating a Titan isn't necessarily the best way to get noticed.
- Petra: The Female Titan was a tough enemy, so I can't be surprised at what happened. But if the captain was in that situation...
- Oluo: Hah. With the right methods, there's nothing I can't defeat—
- Petra: Hey! Are you trying to imitate the captain yet again?!
- Oluo: You're the one who followed me, Petra. But don't you think it's a little early to be acting like my wife?
- Hajime Isayama has stated that Oluo and Petra were from the same batch of trainees.