- Before the Fall manga
| This article or section does not cite, or does not have enough references or sources.|
Please help improve this article by introducing appropriate citations.
| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Specifically, it needs story expansion.
Sorum had short, dark spiky hair, and he wore the typical uniform of a Survey Corps member.
Sorum was a selfless and confident individual who was open to discovery of the unknown. He was courageous and ultimately sacrificed himself for the greater good of humanity. When other members of his team or squad showed fear or hesitation, Sorum was noted to have been able to greatly help put them at ease.
Sorum grew up in an orphanage along with his two childhood friends Maria and Angel. He expressed to them both a desire to join the Survey Corps and expressed a curiosity about what the world looked like beyond the Walls. Sorum's desire would ultimately convince Maria to join the Garrison in order to secure their home from Titans, while Angel would become a craftsman in order to help ensure Sorum would return back home safely.
Sorum is seen trying to seal the gate to Wall Maria with his friend and fellow Survey Corps member Carlo Pikale. Discovering the remains of some of the Titan's victims who were vomited up by the Titan, Sorum angrily curses it for the deaths caused during the attack. As he leaves, Carlo calls Sorum over. Curious, Sorum approaches and witnesses the corpse of Elena starting to move. Sorum watches as Carlo use a sword and cuts open Elena's stomach, seeing a baby inside. Both men are stunned to see it and wonder if it was conceived by the Titan eating Elena; they subsequently name the infant "The Titan's Son."
Around this time, Sorum marries Maria and volunteers along with Angel to take part in an upcoming expedition to capture a live Titan in order to learn how to kill them. Some time passes and Sorum learns Maria is pregnant with their daughter; this makes Sorum decide to settle down with her and transfer out of the Survey Corps. Several nights before they are set to leave, Sorum is seen drinking with Angel while Maria expresses her worry over both of them. Sorum drunkenly assures his wife that he will protect Angel and bring him back safely. He then reveals to Angel that he and Maria are expecting a child, as well as his plans to transfer out of the Corps after the expedition is concluded. During the expedition, the Corps are able to successfully capture a Titan and begin to run several tests. Sorum takes note that even with the loss of an entire limb, Titans can regenerate them almost instantaneously. As they prepare explosives, Sorum is asked by Angel if the Titans have sexes or if there are differences between male and female pure Titans; he theorizes that due to the lack of sexual organs, Titans have no need to reproduce. After Angel draws a sword and repeatedly stabs the Titan due to his frustration over the failed tests, Sorum tackles him to the ground and tries to calm him.
As the captured Titan manages to break free, they get word that Titans are approaching their position; Sorum notices a Titan appeared behind Angel and manages to save him. Then, both Sorum and Angel spot the one that attacked Shiganshina District among the Titans. Sorum is directed by Jorge to get to Angel and take him back to the Wall; as the two ride, Angel pushes his horse too far and Sorum turns around to retrieve him. Sorum buys some time for Angel and the others to get away, but is thrown into the air by the Titan; he ends up with a broken leg and unable to ride. Angel gets him on the horse as the two continue to ride back to the Wall.
Sorum notices that they are not catching up with the others and that the Titan is still close behind them. He asks Angel if he still has some bombs on him and Angel gives him one. Then, Sorum asks Angel to do him one more favor: to look after Maria. Before Angel can do anything, Sorum places the bomb in his mouth and rolls himself off the horse directly into the path of the Titan. The Titan picks him up and crushes Sorum's left arm and both of his legs, yet Sorum is still able to briefly escape and blind it. Weakened and near death, Sorum attaches his sword into the Titan's neck and thinks about Maria. After saying her name one last time, Sorum bites down on the bomb and causes it to explode, killing both him and the Titan.
- Himself (self-sacrifice)
- Maria Carlstead and Rosa Carlstead - Sorum grew up with Maria in the same orphanage as children and would later marry each other. Sorum and Maria loved each other very much, and Sorum had decided to settle down with her and retire from the Survey Corps after his last (and fatal) expedition. Although he did not get a chance to see Rosa before she was born, he presumably loved his daughter just as much.
- Angel Aaltonen - Having grown up in the same orphanage, Sorum and Angel were lifelong friends and inspired the other to pursue their respective dreams; Sorum had such a good friendship with Angel that he entrusted Angel to look after his wife and daughter before sacrificing himself to kill an attacking Titan and save his comrades.
- Jorge Pikale - His commanding officer in the Survey Corps, Sorum had the utmost respect for Jorge Pikale. The feeling was mutual, as Jorge saw Sorum as one of the finest soldiers under his command.
- Carlo Pikale - Carlo was Sorum's best friend within the Survey Corps and the two were usually seen working together during cleanup operations or expeditions.
- Sorum was the first human to successfully kill a Titan. However, when Jorge Pikale was unable to provide proof of this, Cardina Baumeister's father covered it up in order to shut down the Survey Corps.
- Sorum's wish to join the Survey Corps at an early age and his desire to travel outside of the Walls mirrors that of Eren Yeager.