Whether it's more likely that Thomas is alive or deceased, I believe he should stay as unknown due to all of the chaos that's hit the Survey Corps after his final appearance during the Clash of the Titans arc.
While it's entirely possible that Thomas switch out of the Survey Corps after the whole Ragako incident, it's just as possible that he could have died in two big events that followed his last appearance. When Eren was rescued from Reiner and Bertolt, Jean says that out of the 100 soldiers (Survey Corps, Garrison, and MPs combined), only forty returned and the Corps lost most of its seasoned veterans. If Thomas did not participate in this or made it out alive and didn't transfer out, he definitely would have died during the Battle of Shiganshina (only eight or nine out of the original 100+ soldiers are left, right now). He could be alive or dead, but we can't say for sure on either side, so I believe he should be categorized as Status Unknown until something (if anything) is revealed in the future.
- I disagree. This is just like the Hugo discussion we just had. Even though it is super likely someone is dead, we don't get to decide that. Thomas hasn't been seen in any danger, the last we saw of him he was okay. We can't say "well maybe he was a part of this thing". We have to see a corpse to list someone as dead, and we have to see danger directly affect someone to list them as unknown.--JinxTheFunhouse (talk) 06:59, June 15, 2016 (UTC)
- But we're not listing him as dead; we're listing him as unknown; specifically because, as you said, there's no way to determine if he's dead or not. The problem is, there's also no way to prove he is alive. We know he took the news of Wall Rose's breach to Erwin in Ermich District, and that's it. Did he die during the mission to recover Eren from Reiner and Bertolt? (There were a lot of casualties) If he did survive that, then there are only two possibilities for him: either he quit the Survey Corps for some reason (in which case he would be alive and safe behind the Walls... unless he was killed in a mugging, lol), or he would have participated in the Expedition to reclaim Wall Maria, and either died from Bertolt's Bert Bomb (that name's starting to grow on me), or died from the Beast Titan's rock barrage. Or maybe he died in a freak accident in the 3 months between the Uprising arc and the Return to Shiganshina arc.
- Hugo is listed as unknown because he was attacked and we never saw his corpse. I'd just like to loop back to where I said "We have to see a corpse to list someone as dead, and we have to see danger directly affect someone to list them as unknown." because I feel like that was kind of over looked lol --JinxTheFunhouse (talk) 10:02, June 15, 2016 (UTC)
- Oh, I did overlook the danger part. My bad. But the point still stands that there is no way to know if Thomas survived the Survey Corps' mission to rescue Eren from Reiner and Bertl (which resulted in massive casualties for the Survey Corps), there's no way to know what happened to him in the 3 months between the Uprising and the Return to Shiganshina, and there's no way to know if he was involved in the Mission to reseal Wall Maria (if he was, then he'd have died along with all the other background characters either from Bertolt's attack, or the Beast Titan's attack. And if he wasn't part of the mission, then he'd be safe inside the Walls).--Neetaku (talk) 21:37, June 15, 2016 (UTC)
I took a peek at the Unknown category, and from the looks of it there are others listed as Unknown who are in a similar predicament as Thomas.
Hannah Diamant, a trainee from the 104th, was last seen desperately trying to revive Franz after he got bitten in half. That's the last we see of her. We don't know if she became another casualty of the battle of Trost, or if she managed to evacuate from the city with the others. Even though we never see danger directly affect her, we still list her as unknown because both of these fates are equally likely (unless we take the spinoff Wall Sina, Goodbye for its word and list her as deceased as Annie says she is).
In Thomas's case, death is even more likely his fate because of what happened in chapters 48-50 and this current arc. The only real way we can confirm him as alive at this point is if we see him alive and well. On the other hand, he hasn't been shown directly yet either, so he can't be declared deceased unless someone in the future says something along the lines of "Everyone who has ever joined the Survey Corps is dead now except for us." Unknown is our most honest option, in my opinion. --GodKingReiss (talk) 21:57, June 15, 2016 (UTC)
I think that after the Beast Titan's massacre, all Survey Corps members except Squad Levi, Hange and the unnamed recruit, as well as the ones we have confirmed as deceased, should be listed as unknown. We can't list them otherwise because we have no way to positively state their actual status. Stating that Thomas is alive or stating that he is dead are both false information because we have no way to prove any of them. Maybe Thomas defected and is alive, but maybe he didn't; at the end this is purely speculation because there is not a single indication in the manga that such thing actually happened. What we know for sure is that Erwin stated that probably the only remaining Survey Corps were himself, Levi, the recruits (before the second massacre) and Squad Levi. About all the others, we have more than enough reasons to call their statuses into question.--Manuel de la Fuente (talk) 23:47, June 15, 2016 (UTC)
Ok, so I revive this topic again since in the latest chapter it has been confirmed that, of all Survey Corps who went to the 58th expedition, only 9 are alive. Thomas' status has been recently changed to "Deceased" in light of this new info; however, I think he should stay as "unknown" for a simple reason: we have no confirmation that he actually went to the expedition, and we never saw him again after his first appearance, so there's still the possibility that he resigned from the Survey Corps in the meantime or that he didn't go for any other reason. The question is: are we 100% sure that Thomas was in the expedition and thus he's now dead?--Manuel de la Fuente (talk) 16:37, September 10, 2016 (UTC)
- We know who was in Shiganshina during the fight. As for the soldier inside Wall Maria, it was made pretty clear that it was only Erwin, Levi, and the recruits. Levi even said "lead the recruits straight into hell". Loosely, that seems like confirmation.--JinxTheFunhouse (talk) 16:46, September 10, 2016 (UTC)