FANDOM


  • Annie encased in a crystal

    I think there is a reason for this and with what we now know, I think I've figured it out.

    It’s been forever since Annie sealed herself within the crystal cocoon after her battle with Eren in the capital and outside of a flashback to the Battle of Trost we’ve not seen her since. As annoying as it has been with her effectivley removed from the story, I think there is a solid reason for it because I don't think Isayama has forgotten about her, as I've red some posts where some people think he has. After reading the latest capter, 91, I think I’ve figured out why Isayama hasn’t brought Annie back into the story yet, and what I hope happens when she does come back. 

    File:The Female Titan.png
    Annie, along with Reiner, Bertolt and Marcel (the one Ymir ate) were sent to the Walls in 845 and now it is 854 so if they received their abilities in 845 then Annie and Reiner will have 4 years left to live. However Marley’s plan to recruit Eldian warriors for their plans to destroy Paradis that we saw in Grisha’s memories in 832 called for children between 5 and 7. While obviously Zeke, who is 29 by 854, received his power much later, presumably because of he is a descendant of Ymir Fritz; it could still apply to Annie and Reiner. That means Annie who was 16 by 850 would have been recruited so between 839 and 841. If she hadn’t sealed herself away and escaped with Reiner and Zeke in 850 then by 854 she would be dead or close to it. I think that's why Marley is currently searching for a successor for the Armored Titan, because Reiner is going to die soon, and his power needs to be passed on. I think Annie sealing herself within the cocoon has physically stopped her aging so her 13 year “Curse of Ymir” has been halted, and will resume only when she awakens at a later point which means when she does she still has another 4 years left to live. I think Isayama is saving Annie for a later occasion where she needs to have a few more years left to live so we may not see her for another long while yet, but there is not a doubt in my mind that we won't ever see her again. I'm just really hoping it's not so someone can just eat her and inherit her power.

    File:Mr. Leonhart.png
    I’ve always found Annie’s character interesting because I don’t think she’s pure evil just a victim of Marley’s corruption. True she has killed several people, including Marco and Petra who were two of my favorites, but she also saved Connie and Jean, gave Eren combat advice, aided Marlowe and hesitated to kill Armin multiple times and she does appear to be somewhat remorseful of her past misdeeds. Armin even noted that Annie does appear to care for her fellow comrades more than she lets on. Annie also doesn’t strike me as being completely devoted to Marley’s cause like Reiner, but views it as a means to an end. Since she was presumably raised in the Liberio Internment Zone I think her father believes that her service to Marley is their way of being accepted into Marley as true citizens. I should also note that Annie initially didn't agree with her father's beliefs and even lashed out at him during a training session and crippled him, until she eventually accepted what her father was forcing upon her. 

    Female Titan close up

    Despite everything shes done I always thought Annie wasn't pure evil, just misguided.

    Eren now knows both from Grisha’s books and from memories of Grisha and Kruger what Marley is like especially for Eldian citizens and how most of them have been brainwashed into believing they’re the stain of the Earth, because of the actions of their “dreaded ancestor” Ymir Fritz. I think if Annie is told the truth and is promised amnesty in exchange for her assistace, she could be convinced to turn against Marley and aid the Survey Corps in their impending battle against Marley especially if it means getting back home which I think is all she really wants to do. There is also a possibility that she doesn’t know about the 13 year curse and if all she really wants to do is live, she may be outraged to learn that Marley has significantly reduced her lifespan enough to turn against them. Obviously the Survey Corps would all have their reservations about trusting Annie, especially Mikasa and Jean, I think characters like Armin and Levi who know what's at stake and what needs to be done would be willing to give her a chance. After all if she did betray them again it's not like Eren could't put her down if needed, and with Levi and Mikasa's help Annie would be outmatched. 

    Armin encounters the Female Titan

    I think Annie harbors feelings for Armin, so maybe that could be a motive for reforming?

    The Survey Corps having Annie on their side could prove useful as they’d have someone who knows Marley firsthand and could have a potential spy within their enemies’ boarders, which could allow them to sneak in and destroy Marley from within. Plus Marley has access to 6 of the Titan shifters and while Armin now possesses the Colossal Titan the Survey Corps need as many shifters on their side as possible. And with Annie on their side they could identify all the enemy Titan shifters within Marley. Maybe she could help lure them out so their power can be taken by other Survey Corps members? I also think Annie may have feelings for Armin as she has been shown to respect him, and in the field had chances to kill Armin and didn't, which she later admitted she wasn't sure why she did. She also said that she was genuinely hurt that Armin used emotional blackmail to lure her into that trap, as Armin himself also admitted that despite suspecting her role in Sonny and Bean's deaths he didn't want to believe he was right and kept quiet. Maybe having a soft spot for Armin could be a motivating factor to reform.

    I want Annie to come back as much as most people but I think there is a reason why she hasn't been in it and given the revelations in the more recent issues, I think this is why and what I hope happens when she does come back.

      Loading editor
    • With the 4-years timeskip from the last chapters I think the time of Annie is almost over, she probably have receive her power in the same time of Reiner and Bertolt so even if the curse is not delayed by the crystal she probably have some (if very little) time left.

      I doubt she will side with the survey corp because if Marley discover it, her family will be turned in shifter immediately, and Annie have proven to want to protect her family at all cost (like you said she is not as devoted as Reiner or Bertolt and her family is probably the only reason why she do not switch side). Let's not forget Annie is a mirror of Mikasa, both are extremely strong individual who strive to protect/save the one they loves.

      My theory is Annie will not side with the survey corp because she will fear the repercussion for her family, but if she wake up four year into the future with very little time left she will maybe chose to made a big "Fuck you!" at Marley by letting herself being eaten by Historia (maybe during an attack launch by Marley where she will be free by the warrior). Like this Marley will not been able to prove she have betray them and she will be able to do one time in her life something good for the people inside the wall.

      After all, she know she is already dead, but at least she can have a small revenge on Marley for made her life shit (or a big revenge if the person in question is Historia).

        Loading editor
    • Titanfan11
      Titanfan11 removed this reply because:
      The topic is irrelevant.
      07:41, June 26, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • The reason she didn't kill Armin on the battlefield to me is no different with Jean's case, as he was also there together with Armin and Reiner. The difference would be Jean's assault towards Annie that led to his injuries.

      Beside that, I think that she harbors feeling for Eren. She is the one who taught Eren how to fight, to the point that Mikasa getting jealous of their interaction and physical contacts as we can see in the new flashback. What could her motive be other than that?

        Loading editor
    • If Eren really did infiltrate Marley as speculaded( the amputee/guy standing behind reiner and squad) that maybe she made a deal to save her family/father to help. If eren really could get in they would be able to..

        Loading editor
    • PizzaShifter wrote:
      If Eren really did infiltrate Marley as speculaded( the amputee/guy standing behind reiner and squad) that maybe she made a deal to save her family/father to help. If eren really could get in they would be able to..

      Yeah if he is in Marley I also believe he had help from Annie and from Kruger's memories

        Loading editor
    • With Zeke switching sides, Reiner and Falco losing the will to fight for Marley, and the possibility of Eren going rogue, this theory might not be too far from the truth after all.

        Loading editor
    • Kowys wrote: With Zeke switching sides, Reiner and Falco losing the will to fight for Marley, and the possibility of Eren going rogue, this theory might not be too far from the truth after all.

      I would agree with of the possibility of Annie switching sides. It would be possible that Armin would convince her to help stop a titan apocalypse from happening. After all at the current situation, Armin should still be with Annie.

        Loading editor
    • Sakura.cherry-blossom wrote: The reason she didn't kill Armin on the battlefield to me is no different with Jean's case, as he was also there together with Armin and Reiner. The difference would be Jean's assault towards Annie that led to his injuries.

      Beside that, I think that she harbors feeling for Eren. She is the one who taught Eren how to fight, to the point that Mikasa getting jealous of their interaction and physical contacts as we can see in the new flashback. What could her motive be other than that?

      Maybe, however I think that Annie has more respect for Eren because of his determination.

        Loading editor
    • Warrior655 wrote:

      Kowys wrote: With Zeke switching sides, Reiner and Falco losing the will to fight for Marley, and the possibility of Eren going rogue, this theory might not be too far from the truth after all.

      I would agree with of the possibility of Annie switching sides. It would be possible that Armin would convince her to help stop a titan apocalypse from happening. After all at the current situation, Armin should still be with Annie.

      Setting aside my steadfast hope of 'Erannie' becoming a thing (even if only for a brief while), I'm positive Annie still has a part to play before her tenure as the Female Titan expires. I can easily see her helping Armin and the military coordinate a means to fight Marley while also ensuring her a chance to reunite with her father one more time. I believe that she did receive her abilities the same time Reiner did, so she only has two years left before she dies; although it's not clear if being in stasis for part of her 13-year tenure has delayed that, I doubt it would. 

      She stated to Reiner and Bertolt when they arrived on Paradis that she could care less about Marley and has no true allegiance towards them. She only took part in the mission to ensure that both her and her father can live in peace; knowing she's on borrowed time, Annie could also easily abandon Paradis just like Marley and leave the two sides to destroy each other while covertly returning to Marley undetected. I want to think her views changed just like Reiner and will try to atone for her part in the Paradis Island Operation, but we won't know for sure until she comes out of stasis.

        Loading editor
    • Sakura.cherry-blossom wrote:
      The reason she didn't kill Armin on the battlefield to me is no different with Jean's case, as he was also there together with Armin and Reiner. The difference would be Jean's assault towards Annie that led to his injuries.

      Beside that, I think that she harbors feeling for Eren. She is the one who taught Eren how to fight, to the point that Mikasa getting jealous of their interaction and physical contacts as we can see in the new flashback. What could her motive be other than that?

      Hmm... Disagree.

      Annie did not hesitate in her attempts to abduct Eren, very well knowing that, in the hands of her superiors, Eren would have awaited the same fate that Ymir had suffered... Obviously no strong feelings shook her judgment. Annie respects Eren and his focus, but nothing more.

      And Mikasa’s jealousy reflects her misperception and nothing else: after all she was jealous of Eren even to Historia. Does this mean that Eren and Historia in some hot secret romance (or at least an emerging romance)? No. Simple like this.

      The question with her feelings for Armin is quite different.

      If she had been influenced by guilt and/or pity when 17th episode happens, she would have killed Armin anyway (back then or later at Stohess). Because guilt and pity did not stop her and the others from getting rid of Marco. In fact, after Marco's suffering, she could have made Armin’s death very quick one. Now that would be out of pity... Or she even shouldn't dirty her hands with his blood, and just call pure titans, as she had done with the right flank. But she saw him and she didn't.

      Annie didn't even have to go to all these troubles to establish his personality - I'm sure that in 17th episode, the reason she even show interest in blond because two others (more skillful) officers wasted their lives try protect him - tipping her that this blond is someone important (they all didn't hidding their faces back then, but they did moving a lot). Enough to die for (remember Ness' specific order to keep her away from Armin. Instead to, I dunno, going ahead and warn commander and others - 30% rookies will die anyway, so why he?.. Meaning that Armin really important for Erwin and it was known to Ness and anyone who count, but I get distracted ). But during all of this, she had received enough glimpses of his face (and do not forget the important part about Eren's behavior or lack of it) to know that he was anyone but Eren. But for some reason she wanted to get close look instead. And then she spared him, twice more.

      Moreover, it was because of his intervention that she spared Jean: was she distracted by Armin's words? Didn’t want to kill his fellow cadet-and-kind-of-friend in front of him (now that he is obviously fully conscious again)? No idea, but before that she did not hesitate to kill everyone who dared to stand in the way. And this is fact.

        Loading editor
    • As an Erennie shipper, I hope Annie survives long enough for one of them to confess that they have/had feelings for each other.

        Loading editor
    • Well, seeing how Eren is completely obsessed with his ideas about revenge, which he confuses with justice, we will have to wait a very long time for any type of romantic interest (not to mention recognition) from this idiot - that I also really regret. As EreMika fan: Mikasa deserves happiness (and someone way better than Eren, but well... she loves him).
      And about Annie's feelings for Eren (more precisely, about their absence) there’s nothing to even say. This is the canon.

      But damn with  all that pairing crap: the way manga goes, I don’t think that even the survivors will be happy after... Kind of began to wish that all nice characters died fast and painless. And for Eren, Zeke and other nutcases to survave - so them could enjoy their hard-earned scorched wasteland and the subsequent post-war years and years of horrors.

        Loading editor
    • Gamaiyn wrote:

      Hmm... Disagree. If she had been influenced by guilt and/or pity when 17th episode happens, she would have killed Armin anyway (back then or later at Stohess). Because guilt and pity did not stop her and the others from getting rid of Marco. In fact, after Marco's suffering, she could have made Armin’s death very quick one. Now that would be out of pity...

      Concerning Marco's murder you forgot context: Reiner was demanding her to prove her loyalty to Marley by killing Marco. Also, he hinted that her and and father would be considered as traitors by Marley if she didn't help Reiner to kill Marco. Thus, I guess that if she hadn't cooperated with Reiner, then Reiner would have denounced her to Marley. She basically had to choose between accepting the death of her father or killing Marco. So, apparently what motivated her to help Reiner from getting rid of Marco was to save her father and it was not the same situation as the killings of Survey Corps members during the 57th expedition. Also, sure Marco's death was gruesome, but it was also the case of the deaths of some members of the 57th expedition. Your comparison doesn't really make sense.

        Loading editor
    • Theend3 wrote:
      Concerning Marco's murder you forgot context: Reiner was demanding her to prove her loyalty to Marley by killing Marco. Also, he hinted that her and and father would be considered as traitors by Marley if she didn't help Reiner to kill Marco. Thus, I guess that if she hadn't cooperated with Reiner, then Reiner would have denounced her to Marley. She basically had to choose between accepting the death of her father or killing Marco. So, apparently what motivated her to help Reiner from getting rid of Marco was to save her father and it was not the same situation as the killings of Survey Corps members during the 57th expedition. Also, sure Marco's death was gruesome, but it was also the case of the deaths of some members of the 57th expedition. Your comparison doesn't really make sense.


      In fact, all of the same reasons apply to Armin: Annie's mission should outweigh any personal feelings. In the situation with Marco, it was not just some initiation killing, or fear of Reiner's threats, but the elimination of a potentially dangerous witness (what he still did not understand/accept/realize what he heard does not make him less threatening to them). Yes, Annie did not want to take part in this. Yes it was a test (the test of her preparedness to go to the end).
      But, as I say before, all this applies to Armin as well. Only in the case of Marco, Reiner and Bertold could have “fixed” their mistake themselves, without Annie’s participation (but as we all know, they forced her as part of the test. Because both understood that Annie was not feel much loyalty to Marley or to the mission). And in the case of Armin, all this is only Annie's decision (and her own mistake, which she did not want/could not "fix").
      All three shifters were aware that Armin could become a bigger threat (which he later did). And the situation prevailing during the 57th expedition (and Annie's more than notbl actions in relation of Armin) essentially made this one hundred percent outcome. And still she chose not to kill him (more than once).
      The fact that Reiner did not stand right behind her shoulder then did not mean that he would not carry out his threat. Reiner is crazy but not a fool. And Annie knew that. Although with an increase in her chances of revealing her cover, Reiner's threats have become less relevant...
      And about Marco's death: it was not a comparison. Because Armin was not killed.
      But Annie had a chance to just crush him. One hit of the foot and the problem is solved. And it would be a much quicker death, than the one that Marco received. She didn’t even need to know who it was. Because she had enough evidence that this was not Eren: she got a good look at Armin's blond mop before he was covered by hood after falling from the horse. And she probably picked up something from the shouts between senior officers: they didn’t particularly conceal negotiations among themselves, not realizing that Female Titan was intelligent... Damn, bad tempered Eren would have attacked her, without anyone to reason him - a fact confirmed by manga. Annie and all of the 104th, knows that.

      As you can see, there is nothing complicated in my reasoning (although it is possible that I incorrectly express my own thoughts - English is not my native language).

      I do not exclude the possibility that she allowed herself to spare Armin, because she was sure that she would be able to capture Eren and finally end the disguise.
      And when Armin came to her in Stohess, Annie already knew what she was uncovered. She could have killed him and used her knowledge of the city to hide and try to escape (no one would have come to his aid without a signal). Considering that then she already abandoned the mission and just wanted to return home, she missed a great chance.

        Loading editor
    • Theend3
      Theend3 removed this reply because:
      I answered in the wrong area
      04:17, December 11, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • Gamaiyn wrote:

      Theend3 wrote:
      Concerning Marco's murder you forgot context: Reiner was demanding her to prove her loyalty to Marley by killing Marco. Also, he hinted that her and and father would be considered as traitors by Marley if she didn't help Reiner to kill Marco. Thus, I guess that if she hadn't cooperated with Reiner, then Reiner would have denounced her to Marley. She basically had to choose between accepting the death of her father or killing Marco. So, apparently what motivated her to help Reiner from getting rid of Marco was to save her father and it was not the same situation as the killings of Survey Corps members during the 57th expedition. Also, sure Marco's death was gruesome, but it was also the case of the deaths of some members of the 57th expedition. Your comparison doesn't really make sense.


      In fact, all of the same reasons apply to Armin: Annie's mission should outweigh any personal feelings. In the situation with Marco, it was not just some initiation killing, or fear of Reiner's threats, but the elimination of a potentially dangerous witness (what he still did not understand/accept/realize what he heard does not make him less threatening to them). Yes, Annie did not want to take part in this. Yes it was a test (the test of her preparedness to go to the end).
      But, as I say before, all this applies to Armin as well. Only in the case of Marco, Reiner and Bertold could have “fixed” their mistake themselves, without Annie’s participation (but as we all know, they forced her as part of the test. Because both understood that Annie was not feel much loyalty to Marley or to the mission). And in the case of Armin, all this is only Annie's decision (and her own mistake, which she did not want/could not "fix").
      All three shifters were aware that Armin could become a bigger threat (which he later did). And the situation prevailing during the 57th expedition (and Annie's more than notbl actions in relation of Armin) essentially made this one hundred percent outcome. And still she chose not to kill him (more than once).
      The fact that Reiner did not stand right behind her shoulder then did not mean that he would not carry out his threat. Reiner is crazy but not a fool. And Annie knew that. Although with an increase in her chances of revealing her cover, Reiner's threats have become less relevant...
      And about Marco's death: it was not a comparison. Because Armin was not killed.
      But Annie had a chance to just crush him. One hit of the foot and the problem is solved. And it would be a much quicker death, than the one that Marco received. She didn’t even need to know who it was. Because she had enough evidence that this was not Eren: she got a good look at Armin before he had covered by hood after falling from the horse. And she probably picked up something from the shouts between senior officers: they didn’t particularly conceal negotiations among themselves, not realizing that Female Titan was reasonable... Damn, bad tempered Eren would have attacked her for killing his team - a fact confirmed by canon. And Annie, all of the 104th, knows that.

      As you can see, there is nothing complicated in my reasoning (although it is possible that I incorrectly express my own thoughts - English is not my native language).

      I do not exclude the possibility that she allowed herself to spare Armin, because she was sure that she would be able to capture Eren and finally end the disguise.
      And when Armin came to her in Stohess, Annie already knew what she was uncovered. She could have killed him and used her knowledge of the city to hide and try to escape (no one would have come to his aid without a signal). Considering that then she already abandoned the mission and just wanted to return home, she missed a great chance.

      OK. I understood your thoughts. I have to add two things: Considering Armin, it's hard to know why she spared him, except the fact that he was her friend while she didn't know the members of the 57th expedition she killed. She might have underestimated his intelligence too. Maybe we will know why she spared Armin in the next chapters. Concerning Marco's murder, she probably considered that Reiner and Bertold had to take care of Marco the way they wanted because they inadvertently revealed themselves to Marco. So, in my own opinion her first reasoning about Marco (before finally accepting to obey Reiner's orders) was very cynical.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.