FANDOM


  • because i believe that it is. 

    We all know that the ackerbond is a form of bond an ackerman has with his/her host, like with Levi and Erwin, Mikasa and Eren, Kenny and Uri and they are willing to comply to any instruction given to them and will protect their host at all cost, and judging from what we've seen in both the anime and manga, it's they dont have much of a choice.

    But what if they do have a choice whether they should follow and protect their hosts. According to their history, they used to serve and protect the royal family but went against them because they didnt support Karl Fritz's ideology, so that means they have a choice.

    could that explain why Eren told Mikasa that he always hated her or probably act the way he's acting since he believes that she has a choice to live for herself rather him. i mean, his time is limited as it is with the Ymir's curse and other things that might potentially kill him of he's not careful. 

    what do you guys think

      Loading editor
    • I think if Eren's slave theory was true it would not make sense why the First king would need to have them hunted to extinction I mean they would be in theory easier to control then someone via the founding titan's power

        Loading editor
    • Blechmaster wrote:
      I think if Eren's slave theory was true it would not make sense why the First king would need to have them hunted to extinction I mean they would be in theory easier to control then someone via the founding titan's power

      makes sense, however, the ackermans are one of the few bloodlines we know that are immune to the founding titan's ability.

        Loading editor
    • From my perspective, Ackerbond is not a choice, at least when it's created. And as long as the Ackerman isn't aware of this bond, his/her actions will be mostly directed by it. It's instinctive. As we saw with Mikasa and Kenny, they're protecting Eren/Uri no matter what. We even saw Kenny being agressive with Rod because he just spoke about Uri, who's dead for a few years. So, as long as they're not aware of their "bond", they probably won't question themselves about their unconditionnal behavior towards their host.

      The term "slave" used by Eren is pretty accurate, and volontarily brutal, because I think (and many people think that) that he used this very aggressive term (along with his speech) in order to help Mikasa to get away from her bond, to become a free person. And now, she's aware of that bond, she's probably questioning herself. That won't necessarilly end up with her being totally rid of this bond, but it's a first step. By the way, I don't think that there is a strict rule about "how to get rid of our bond". For Mikasa, Eren had to force her, but there might be other ways (The host ordering something too awful for the Ackerman's perspective, etc...).

      Plus, Levi saving Armin instead of Erwin shows that the bond isn't the same for every Ackerman/host couple. If it was Mikasa instead of Levi, and Eren instead of Erwin, she would have done everything she could to keep him alive, while Levi chose to free Erwin from this "hell", by letting him die. 

      About the Ackermans who turned against Karl Fritz, here are a few possibilities: being an Ackerman doesn't necessarilly mean that you've triggered your bond with someone (Mikasa's father, maybe Kenny's grandfather, Kuchel), which mean that you could oppose the royal family without any problem related to the bond. And the bond can probably be "broken", as Eren tried to do with Mikasa's Ackerbond. Maybe Karl Fritz ordered his Ackerman bodyguard to kill the others Ackerman, he couldn't, turned against Karl, etc... We've got a lot of possibilities.

        Loading editor
    • Razzylada wrote:
      From my perspective, Ackerbond is not a choice, at least when it's created. And as long as the Ackerman isn't aware of this bond, his/her actions will be mostly directed by it. It's instinctive. As we saw with Mikasa and Kenny, they're protecting Eren/Uri no matter what. We even saw Kenny being agressive with Rod because he just spoke about Uri, who's dead for a few years. So, as long as they're not aware of their "bond", they probably won't question themselves about their unconditionnal behavior towards their host.

      The term "slave" used by Eren is pretty accurate, and volontarily brutal, because I think (and many people think that) that he used this very aggressive term (along with his speech) in order to help Mikasa to get away from her bond, to become a free person. And now, she's aware of that bond, she's probably questioning herself. That won't necessarilly end up with her being totally rid of this bond, but it's a first step. By the way, I don't think that there is a strict rule about "how to get rid of our bond". For Mikasa, Eren had to force her, but there might be other ways (The host ordering something too awful for the Ackerman's perspective, etc...).

      Plus, Levi saving Armin instead of Erwin shows that the bond isn't the same for every Ackerman/host couple. If it was Mikasa instead of Levi, and Eren instead of Erwin, she would have done everything she could to keep him alive, while Levi chose to free Erwin from this "hell", by letting him die. 

      About the Ackermans who turned against Karl Fritz, here are a few possibilities: being an Ackerman doesn't necessarilly mean that you've triggered your bond with someone (Mikasa's father, maybe Kenny's grandfather, Kuchel), which mean that you could oppose the royal family without any problem related to the bond. And the bond can probably be "broken", as Eren tried to do with Mikasa's Ackerbond. Maybe Karl Fritz ordered his Ackerman bodyguard to kill the others Ackerman, he couldn't, turned against Karl, etc... We've got a lot of possibilities.

      hmmm. i see and you did bring out valid point.

      now to the next questions, if there is a possibility to get rid of the bond, can it be destroyed permanently. is it possible for an ackerman to find another host (particularly in the case of Levi and possibly Mikasa)

        Loading editor
    • Cheng The Nerd wrote:

      hmmm. i see and you did bring out valid point.

      now to the next questions, if there is a possibility to get rid of the bond, can it be destroyed permanently. is it possible for an ackerman to find another host (particularly in the case of Levi and possibly Mikasa)

      Hard to say, we've known only 3 Ackermans... There are many unknown possibilities related to the Ackerbond, and I'd say that the psychology of the Ackerman plays a big role. Can the bond be fully destroyed? I don't think so, but, as always, depends on how the bond is defined. Levi destroying his bond to Erwin would be easier than Mikasa doing it with her bond with Eren (and Levi is reaching his 40s, while Mikasa is 19, so there might be a question of maturity). 

      Mikasa triggered her bond when she was a child, and this period of life is very important because you're constructing yourself. Levi and Kenny triggered their bonds when they were adults, they were already mature, so it's a big difference that should be considered, that's why I think Mikasa's bond will be a real challenge to destroy.  And there is an instinctive part in the Ackerbond, being rid of an instinct seems close to impossible, but... Who knows? 

      Is it possible for an Ackerman to find another host? Maybe, it depends on the Ackerman I think. I don't think Mikasa could develop a bond toward someone else, but Levi, why not. We don't precisely know when he triggered his Ackermans powers, some people think that it's when he avenged Furlan and Isabel, but this event didn't fit the conditions required to trigger the Ackerman power. And Levi already looked OP before this event, so I'm wondering if he didn't know another host before Erwin. Maybe Kenny? Why not, but it disappeared, because Levi didn't hesitate when he had to fight him. Or maybe he is OP before knowing Erwin only because of Kenny's training? It's very hard to tell. We don't know for sure about Levi's bond and how he triggered his Ackermans powers, we can't do anything but theorizing.

        Loading editor
    • can the ackerbond be seen as a form of weakness

        Loading editor
    • Cheng The Nerd wrote:
      can the ackerbond be seen as a form of weakness

      Maybe, as it prevents the Ackerman from thinking rationnally when it's about his/her host.

        Loading editor
    • I think what Eren said is not entirely true, even though it does make sense on some level. It could be, and ngl I wouldnt like it but, Mikasa is the one we've seen suffer from these headaches. Given, we haven't seen enough of Kenny, but Levi should have definitely shown signs of headaches and struggle every or some of the times he was unable to assist Erwin - the guy was in danger just about every scene so Levi should be comatose in that sense. I know he's older and more mature so he probably has a better hold on it but, still if it was a case of the Ackerbond I figure it'd still be there in some form but that dude is just about as relaxed as you could be. My theory is it only affects Mikasa because she lived with the family, activated the bond at a really early age, shares a connection with Eren by looking after him for so long, not to mention she feels a sense of gratitude like she professed at the end of season 2/chapter 50, and to top it all off I think its pretty safe to say she has feelings for him. Anyone would get a headache if someone that close were taken away from them the way Eren was constantly pulled from her. He was the last person she had, her family were killed and then the next family she got close to were killed again. The bond just enhanced that connection. 

      Plus, Hajime Isayama said himself their reason for protecting their counterparts have nothing to do with the bloodline itself, so theres that. But again, just my opinion, really hope they sort Eren's storyline out.

        Loading editor
    • Khzrs wrote:
      Mikasa is the one we've seen suffer from these headaches. Given, we haven't seen enough of Kenny, but Levi should have definitely shown signs of headaches and struggle every or some of the times he was unable to assist Erwin

      In that very same chapter where we learn more about the Ackerbond and the headaches (112), Levi is precisely shown to have an headache.

        Loading editor
    • Razzylada wrote:
      Khzrs wrote:
      Mikasa is the one we've seen suffer from these headaches. Given, we haven't seen enough of Kenny, but Levi should have definitely shown signs of headaches and struggle every or some of the times he was unable to assist Erwin
      In that very same chapter where we learn more about the Ackerbond and the headaches (112), Levi is precisely shown to have an headache.

      My apologies for my bad English, English isn't my native language.

      I read the chapter again but I didn't see this part. When Live get a headache?

        Loading editor
    • Turi123456 wrote:

      My apologies for my bad English, English isn't my native language.

      I read the chapter again but I didn't see this part. When Live get a headache?

      https://66.media.tumblr.com/5e1c7b4f1acaf29f031667393a2a7059/tumblr_inline_pjkhx12Zcd1thoxlt_1280.jpg

      Levi is acting exactly like Mikasa when she has and headache, putting the hand on the head/forehead. But I haven't see any other occurence of Levi having an headache tho, so yes, it's more exceptionnal than Mikasa, so we can't strictly say that it's because of his Ackerman condition. Especially has he triggered his ackerbond while being an adult, so it's not a stretch to assume his maturity helped him.

      PS : English isn't my native language either x)

        Loading editor
    • Razzylada wrote:
      Turi123456 wrote:

      My apologies for my bad English, English isn't my native language.

      I read the chapter again but I didn't see this part. When Live get a headache?

      https://66.media.tumblr.com/5e1c7b4f1acaf29f031667393a2a7059/tumblr_inline_pjkhx12Zcd1thoxlt_1280.jpg

      Levi is acting exactly like Mikasa when she has and headache, putting the hand on the head/forehead. But I haven't see any other occurence of Levi having an headache tho, so yes, it's more exceptionnal than Mikasa, so we can't strictly say that it's because of his Ackerman condition. Especially has he triggered his ackerbond while being an adult, so it's not a stretch to assume his maturity helped him.

      PS : English isn't my native language either x)

      Your English is still better than mine.

      I think it was an act because the bad situation (Live said it like a bad joke), besides when Mikasa gets headscratchers there is a sound effect not like here: (sorry I don't know how to send page here)


      https://attackontitan.fandom.com/wiki/Thread:41281

        Loading editor
    • Turi123456 wrote:

      Your English is still better than mine.

      I think it was an act because the bad situation (Live said it like a bad joke), besides when Mikasa gets headscratchers there is a sound effect not like here: (sorry I don't know how to send page here)


      https://attackontitan.fandom.com/wiki/Thread:41281

      It's pretty weird that Isayama shows Levi acting exactly like Mikasa in the very same chapters he explains why she has headaches. It's not a coincidence, but we can't exclude the possibility of a redherring. But what Eren said about headaches made sense tho, Mikasa is shown to have headaches when she's thinking about the moment she created her Ackerbond to Eren. If Eren already knew that she often had headaches, he can't read her mind. So, I guess that what he said about headaches is true on a certain measure (we've never really been in Kenny's mind so we can't really say, and Levi only have one occurence of having a headache), at least for Mikasa.

      For the sound effect... Yes there is a sound but that's weird, and I don't know if we really can say what the sound is for (the sound of her putting her hand on the head ?), on the thread you gave the link of, every time there is a sound (and it's not every time), she's in a situation where many exterior sounds could be heard. And for some of the panel this thread is showing, the headache doesn't have anything with her ackerbond, that's just headache related to the current situation ("I hit my head hard"). So, nothing surprizing if no sound is shown when Levi is having a headache in 112.

        Loading editor
    • Razzylada wrote:
      Turi123456 wrote:

      Your English is still better than mine.

      I think it was an act because the bad situation (Live said it like a bad joke), besides when Mikasa gets headscratchers there is a sound effect not like here: (sorry I don't know how to send page here)


      https://attackontitan.fandom.com/wiki/Thread:41281

      It's pretty weird that Isayama shows Levi acting exactly like Mikasa in the very same chapters he explains why she has headaches. It's not a coincidence, but we can't exclude the possibility of a redherring. But what Eren said about headaches made sense tho, Mikasa is shown to have headaches when she's thinking about the moment she created her Ackerbond to Eren. If Eren already knew that she often had headaches, he can't read her mind. So, I guess that what he said about headaches is true on a certain measure (we've never really been in Kenny's mind so we can't really say, and Levi only have one occurence of having a headache), at least for Mikasa.

      For the sound effect... Yes there is a sound but that's weird, and I don't know if we really can say what the sound is for (the sound of her putting her hand on the head ?), on the thread you gave the link of, every time there is a sound (and it's not every time), she's in a situation where many exterior sounds could be heard. And for some of the panel this thread is showing, the headache doesn't have anything with her ackerbond, that's just headache related to the current situation ("I hit my head hard"). So, nothing surprizing if no sound is shown when Levi is having a headache in 112.

      Normally I wasn't giving importance to sound effect in this Manga but to me, it seems like some kind of effect or at least something that related to Mikasa headache.


      About Live you yourself said that we never show him get a headache (chapter 112 a side) (not even when Erwin dies) so I don't think it is a headache in chapter 112.

      About Ackerman, we don't know if what Eren said was truth half-truth or just lies, I guess it was a half-truth (the part about the Titan Power and the "Paths of Ackerman" truth the Headaches and the "Host" was a lie).

        Loading editor
    • Turi123456 wrote:


      About Live you yourself said that we never show him get a headache (chapter 112 a side) (not even when Erwin dies) so I don't think it is a headache in chapter 112.

      About Ackerman, we don't know if what Eren said was truth half-truth or just lies, I guess it was a half-truth (the part about the Titan Power and the "Paths of Ackerman" truth the Headaches and the "Host" was a lie).

      You can't conclude that it's not a headache, same as we can't strictly affirm that it is. But there's still a lot of things that hint us at it being a headache. Like... The fact that it's represented exactly like Mikasa's. But even if it's a headeache, that doesn't strictly mean it's because of the Ackerbond, it might be intended to be a red herring. Regular people have headaches too. Nothing surprizing if Levi get one too one day.

      And I don't think the headaches are really a lie, because Mikasa has been shown to have them when thinking about the moment she awoke her Ackerbond since chapter 2. But what could be a lie from Eren would be the "headeache means that your ancient yourself is trying to emerge again", but that doesn't mean headaches related to the Ackerbond aren't real. The lie would be the reason of the headaches, but not the headaches by themselves.

        Loading editor
    • I don't even believe that such a thing as "Ackerbond" exists. Here's a part of Isayama's interview from 4 years ago: – Regarding Mikasa and Levi’s Ackerman family mystery, we’re also receiving more clarity! Can we say that Mikasa, Levi, Kenny are all part of the same Ackerman bloodline? Isayama: They are all part of the same Ackerman bloodline. However, their reasons for protecting their respective counterparts don’t have anything to do with the bloodline itself - it’s just their nature (laughs). Within the story, Mikasa and Levi almost have the guardian/knight-like roles, right? That’s because they encountered the existence of a “boss”-like individual (T/N: Isayama interestingly uses the exact katakana “ボス” - “boss” here), and the desire to work for that person is very in line with their personalities.

      Not to mention that the story and Eren's explanations are full of holes. Mikasa has headaches because her true self resists her urge to help Eren? Bullshit. We've seen Mikasa suffer from headaches before, where the incident that caused them was unrelated to Eren. The Ackermans might have been designed to protect the Founder, but as pointed out by Isayama himself, the bloodline has nothing to do with the main Ackermans protecting the people they protect. Not to mention, that the Ackermans are immune to the powers of the Founder. If they were designed to protect the King, well, the experiment failed badly, since they rebelled against him. This means that any sort of slave theory in a metaphysical sense is wrong. If anything, Mikasa is the only one free to fight Eren, without being hindered by the Founder's powers.

      As for the supposed "imprinting" method of the awakening of the Ackermans, that's also laughable. Levi's closest person and his "boss" was Erwin, yet he activated his powers way before meeting him. Kenny activated his powers way before meeting Uri. Mikasa also cares a lot about Armin as well and she would go very far to protect him. Not like Eren, obviously, but that's because she loves Eren more than Armin. 

      I don't doubt that Eren's words hold some truth. For example, the bit about how they are human-sized titan or their fighting skills coming from the paths seem pretty solid. The rest are bs. And so was his declaration of hate towards Mikasa. All of his claims were specifically made to target her and her insecurities. They don't have universal application, so they are not credible.

        Loading editor
    • Razzylada wrote:
      Turi123456 wrote:


      About Live you yourself said that we never show him get a headache (chapter 112 a side) (not even when Erwin dies) so I don't think it is a headache in chapter 112.

      About Ackerman, we don't know if what Eren said was truth half-truth or just lies, I guess it was a half-truth (the part about the Titan Power and the "Paths of Ackerman" truth the Headaches and the "Host" was a lie).

      You can't conclude that it's not a headache, same as we can't strictly affirm that it is. But there's still a lot of things that hint us at it being a headache. Like... The fact that it's represented exactly like Mikasa's. But even if it's a headeache, that doesn't strictly mean it's because of the Ackerbond, it might be intended to be a red herring. Regular people have headaches too. Nothing surprizing if Levi get one too one day.

      And I don't think the headaches are really a lie, because Mikasa has been shown to have them when thinking about the moment she awoke her Ackerbond since chapter 2. But what could be a lie from Eren would be the "headeache means that your ancient yourself is trying to emerge again", but that doesn't mean headaches related to the Ackerbond aren't real. The lie would be the reason of the headaches, but not the headaches by themselves.

      Levi did not have a headache. Every single time that Isayama wanted to showcase a headache he accompanied it with a "throb" sound effect. It's very specific and this wasn't used on Levi. He uses it for Mikasa, even in cases where Eren's safety is assured. An example of that would be her reaction to Armin's state after the fight with Bertolt. Isayama also uses the same "throb" sound effect for Eren's headaches. The exact same as Mikasa's. You can read volume 1's  chapter 3 to confirm it.

      Mikasa's headaches are probably a result of severe traumatic experience. Not of any supernatural, non-existing bond. 

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.