The Walls (壁 Kabe?) are large structures that surround the remaining territory that humanity inhabits. They were built more than a century ago and contain colossal-sized skinless Titans inside their hollow shell.
DescriptionThe Walls reach about 50 meters in height from base to summit and are incredibly strong in substance. However, the Female Titan was able to damage one of them when she attempted to climb over it.
The distance from Wall Maria to Wall Rose is said to be about 100 km, the distance from Wall Rose to Wall Sina is about 130 km, and the radius of Wall Sina is about 250 km. Assuming the Walls to be perfect circles, this would make the total perimeter of Wall Maria to be around 3,016 km with the total area inside the Walls being 723,822 km².
The Walls are too long to be guarded in their entirety. The tops of the Walls are lined with cannons, which can fire on approaching Titans, even though they are not particularly effective due to the Titan's regeneration abilities. To account for this, each one has four towns on their periphery known as "districts." As Titans are drawn towards large concentrations of people, humanity can focus its defenses at these districts and not the rest of the Wall. The districts are considered the worst and least desirable places to live, as they are at greater risk of a Titan invasion.
Few people know about the Titans within the Walls. The Scout Regiment learned of their existence when the Female Titan damaged the surface of Wall Sina, exposing the face of a huge Titan. Pastor Nick, a foremost member of a cult which considers the Walls to be holy, knew of the Titans within them, but would reveal no more under the interrogation of Hange Zoë. It is unknown how commonplace this knowledge is within the Order of the Walls.
One hundred and seven years ago, it is said that humans were brought to the brink of extinction at the hands of the Titans. In response to this, the survivors made huge Walls to protect their last stronghold.
In the year 784, it was discovered by a miner with twenty years of experience who attempted to dig under Wall Rose to reach Wall Sina that the ground below the Walls was made of the same material as the Wall and that they also seem to extend surrounding human territory underground.
The current status of the Walls is chaotic. Shiganshina District was the first city to fall when Wall Maria was breached, leading to a massive slaughter and prompting humanity to abandon the entire perimeter and the remaining cities along the Wall as they attempted to consolidate their losses. After the fall of Wall Maria, humanity was pushed into Wall Rose. Soon after a massive campaign to retake Wall Maria was launched as nearly 250,000 conscripted soldiers were sent out to wipe out the Titans; this campaign ended in disaster and saw the near-total annihilation of the army tasked with this mission. Within five years after that, Trost District was breached, though it ultimately survived due to the intervention of Eren Jaeger, while also ensuring the local population's survival. Sometime later, Wall Sina and Stohess District were heavily damaged when Eren did battle with the Female Titan. On the same day, multiple Titans were spotted inside Wall Rose coming from the south.
Names and other information
|Wall Maria is the outermost Wall of the human kingdom. Like the other Walls, Wall Maria is approximately 50 meters in height. Five years ago, it was breached by the Colossal Titan and Armored Titan, after a century of peace and prosperity, and was lost to the Titans.|
|Wall Rose is the second outermost Wall following Wall Maria. It was breached by the Colossus Titan 5 years after the fall of Wall Maria, but the breach was later sealed by Eren Jaeger with assistance from the military. It was thought to have been breached again after Titans appeared inside it a little over a month later.|
|Wall Sina is the innermost Wall protecting the kingdom where the king and other civilians reside. The cities of Wall Sina are protected by the Military Police serving under the king. The underground is poorer and more prone to criminal activity.|
Stohess District (east)
Ehrmich District (south)
Yarckel District (west)
- The size of the nation within the Walls is most comparable to the real-life African nation of Zambia, with a total area of 752,612 km², making it the 38th largest country in the world. The Human activity zone would come right after at 39th.
- Titans primarily targeted the southern region, even before the loss of Wall Maria. As such, they are considered the most dangerous and least desirable places to live in.
- The northern districts are considered the most desirable region, due to minimal Titan activity. However, the weather is brutally cold and makes life for residents very difficult. Hajime Isayama suggested they may have hot springs to make up for the harsh weather.
- Isayama has described the northern region as relatively cold, rarely exceeding 30° C even on the hottest summer days.
- "Rose" was the East Germany's secret codename plan to build the Berlin Wall.
- In the early draft of chapter 1 presented by Isayama to the editors of the Weekly Shōnen Magazine, Wall Maria and Wall Rose were switched, so Wall Rose was the outermost Wall breached by the Colossal Titan, and Wall Maria was the second outermost Wall to where the survivors retreated.